Software Engineer – Star Wars
We are BossAlien, part of the NaturalMotion family. Our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep compelling gameplay to mobile platforms. For the past four years NaturalMotion Studios have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
Hiring Update: The safety of our candidates and team members is our top priority. During the COVID-19 pandemic, our workforce transitioned to working from home, with all interviewing and onboarding being conducted virtually until further notice.
We are looking for Software Engineer to join us at BossAlien, a division of NaturalMotion, in creating Star Wars™: Hunters, a competitive arena combat game for the Nintendo Switch system and mobile devices. Star Wars: Hunters will bring players together to engage in thrilling, team-based, multiplayer battles featuring a diverse array of distinctive new Star Wars characters.
As a member of our Engineering team you will have the opportunity to collaborate with a diverse and experienced crew of developers, and to help us build leading-edge technology for a new, premiere cross-platform game in the Star Wars universe. This is a rare and unique opportunity to build a landmark title based on one of the world’s most beloved creative properties that will engage with millions of players daily.
You will have a deep passion for building sophisticated software systems, a dedication to engineering craftsmanship, an unwavering commitment to quality, and the desire to have their work positively impact tens of millions of people worldwide.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Build core parts of our game, such as combat, movement, game modes, user interface, performance optimisation, shaders, internal tools, etc
- Collaborate with Engineering, Design and Production to understand gameplay needs, support development and proactively solve problems
- Write well-crafted, efficient and testable code using Unreal Engine, C++ and its associated frameworks
- Deploy your work to iOS, Android and Nintendo Switch, and be prepared to learn other platforms as needed
- Bring experience in one or more engineering domains such as rendering, networking, mathematics, animation, physics, AI, UI/UX, native app development, build systems etc, and use that experience to ship amazing player experiences.
- Strive for excellence in software craftsmanship, and collaborate with peers to improve software design
- Grow with the business; stretch yourself and learn new skills and domains
- Have fun; we’re making games!
Required Skills & Experience
- Bring experience in one or more engineering domains such as rendering, networking, mathematics, animation, physics, AI, UI/UX, native app development, build systems etc, and use that experience to ship amazing player experiences
- Experience in an object-oriented language and ideally a game engine
- Bring an understanding of algorithms, design patterns, debugging and memory/performance optimisation
- Excellent problem solving and strong interpersonal skills
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme, Zynga stock allocation and Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care, dental and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance, critical illness insurance and income protection
- 6 months fully paid maternity leave or 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly (virtual) fitness classes
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Summer and Christmas parties
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse and talented workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds to join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities in order to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at accommodationRequest@zynga.com to request an accommodation associated with your application for an open position.