Senior Software Engineer – Star Wars
Engineering (Brighton-UK, London-UK)
We are BossAlien, part of the NaturalMotion family. Our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep compelling gameplay to mobile platforms. For the past four years NaturalMotion Studios have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
Hiring Update: The safety of our candidates and team members is our top priority. During the COVID-19 pandemic, our workforce transitioned to working from home, with all interviewing and onboarding being conducted virtually until further notice.
We are looking for Senior Software Engineer to join us at BossAlien, a division of NaturalMotion, in creating Star Wars™: Hunters, a competitive arena combat game for the Nintendo Switch system and mobile devices. Star Wars: Hunters will bring players together to engage in thrilling, team-based, multiplayer battles featuring a diverse array of distinctive new Star Wars characters.
You will have a deep passion for building sophisticated software systems, a devotion to engineering craftsmanship, an unwavering commitment to quality, and the desire to have their work positively impact tens of millions of people worldwide.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Write well designed, efficient and testable code using Unreal Engine
- Bring a solid understanding of algorithms, design patterns, debugging and memory/performance optimisation
- Actively monitor application performance and stability, and resolve emergent issues
- Accurately estimates schedule and delivers high quality work products on that schedule
- Lean on your expertise as a strong individual contributor in at least one technical domain, but able to work with engineers in any domain and provide useful guidance and feedback
- Strive for excellence in software craftsmanship, and act as an influencer and mentor for developers on the team
- Be a natural communicator and collaborate well on a cross-functional team, working across time zone barriers
Required Skills & Experience
- Experience developing and releasing multiple games, with one or more games in Unreal (or an equivalent proprietary game engine) and C++
- Having taken titles from pre-production to release, you have experience of every step involved in getting a game shipped
- Experience managing a team through the lifecycle of game development along with the team’s career development
- Comfortable understanding and debugging unfamiliar code in a large project.
- Proven track record collaborating with partners to architect and implement features and systems
- Excellent problem solving and strong interpersonal skills
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme, Zynga stock allocation and Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care, dental and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance, critical illness insurance and income protection
- 6 months fully paid maternity leave or 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly (virtual) fitness classes
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Summer and Christmas parties
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse and talented workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds to join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities in order to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at accommodationRequest@zynga.com to request an accommodation associated with your application for an open position.