Principal Tools Engineer – Star Wars
We are looking for a Lead Tools Engineer, at senior or principal level, who excels at cooperatively driving an engineering team forward and finding solutions to booth complex tools and general engineering problems. Someone who embraces the opportunity to bring other people's ideas to life, and who still writes code themselves, proactively contributing ideas and solutions of their own. We have small and agile teams, so you will thrive working in these environments as we grow.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- You will build and lead the tools engineering team on our Star Wars games
- You will both oversee and create tools for Art, Design, LiveOps and other aspects of the project
- You will help shape the content pipelines for development of our titles, working cooperatively with our other engineering leads to ensure tools and systems fit well together
- You will mentor other members of the engineering team and encourage them to follow good engineering practices
- You will iterate tools and pipelines to improve development efficiency
- Collaborating with multiple disciplines, you will find technical solutions and approaches catering to each project’s particular needs
- The software you and your team write will be well-designed, adaptable, and testable, for long-term use
- You will help to improve the code team’s knowledge and experience through sharing your experience
Required Experience & Skills
- You have developed and released multiple games, with one or more games in Unreal or another C++ game engine in a senior or lead tools capacity
- Deep experience of tools development in C++ and experience with other languages such as C#
- Having taken titles from pre-production to release, you have experience of every step involved in getting a game shipped
- You have experience managing a small engineering team through the lifecycle of game development and the lifecycle of the team’s career development
- You are comfortable understanding and debugging unfamiliar code in a large project
- You have created a variety of tools for content pipelines and data driven systems
- You have worked with other disciplines to gather requirements, architect and implement tools
- You are familiar with design patterns, performance optimisation, and knowledge sharing
Desirable Experience & Skills
- Do you have experience working on strategy and action games?
- Have you shipped one or more mobile titles?
- Have you shipped titles across multiple-platforms?
Are you familiar with the particular challenges of developing and running a live game?