Environment Artist – Racing
Art (Birmingham, United Kingdom)
At Naturalmotion, we make games that wow people. We innovate to create experiences that previously were impossible and that would not exist without us. We take pride in making titles that reach large audiences and in creating communities that last.
We are looking for an ambitious, intelligent, and intellectually curious Environment Artist. We are all self-disciplined problem-solvers, who are respectful and straightforward with our colleagues, and we hope you can be too. You are trusting and trusted, flexible and emotionally mature, and you thrive on working with people who share these values.
As an Environment Artist you will be a peerless worker, able to operate at the highest levels in your craft with support from your leadership and team. Experienced with Environment Art, you will be able to respectfully and tactfully offer and action processes and improvements that enhance the quality of the game visual experience.
You will have a clear understanding of your role, and be able to use a range of skills to deliver the best achievable results. You provide calm, confident ideas and suggestions within your field of expertise and will be able to identify potential issues before they become problems.
NaturalMotion seeks an environment artist to assist in the creation of environments across NM Racing, specifically focusing on enhancing the gameplay experience. The Environment Artist will also have the opportunity to own entire scenes from planning to completion.
As an Environment Artist you will work alongside the Lead Environment Artist and other artists to deliver best in class visuals on mobile and cross platform for NM Racing titles.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Alongside the other members of the team you will author game assets and environment scenes to the highest standards suitable for a vast range of devices. Specifically focusing on the creation of mood boards, reference boards, block outs, whiteboxes, prototypes and ingame assets in an non destructive/ future proofed pipeline.
- Ensures all art and estimations are planned well, effective and clearly communicated to your lead.
- The Environment Artist will help promote and support an Art culture and relevance across the team.
- There will be opportunities to work alongside the Cinematic Artist in creating and implementing cinematic cutscenes as well as in game and replay camera authoring.
- You will have a good understanding of how environment art can support gameplay and reinforce game narrative.
- You will confidently and respectfully challenge the status quo in order to improve overall art quality.
- Confident in your decision making, you nevertheless think carefully before you speak and act.
- Has a proven ability to clearly define requirements that may have impact across teams.
- Will be confidently able to plan and estimate time against their work and reflect industry standard estimations for asset creation.
- Requires light supervision on familiar tasks but will seek guidance on more complex or new/unfamiliar tasks.
Presentation & Communication
- Clearly explains and summarises key elements of assigned work. Can effectively provide a line manager with verbal or written (email or document) updates.
- Excels in a collaborative team orientated environment.
- Remains objective and avoids prematurely jumping to conclusions when faced with challenging situations. Demonstrates flexibility when interacting with others. Contributes positively to team morale.
Day to day
- They are ultimately responsible for delivering art requirements, outlined by the Environment Art Lead, for the racing titles
- They will assist with the creation and implementation of assets using software such Substance Designer, Substance Painter, Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop and Unity.
- Communicates clearly and professionally across disciplines within the team.
- Innovative thinking when it comes to potential new concepts that would benefit the game.
- Open to constructive criticism and an active listener.
- Will effectively assist the lead on the planning and briefing of outsource companies as well as be able to guide deliver their content until final implementation.
- Deliver best quality whilst being mindful of game limitations and working with peers to agree on the best outcome.
- “What good looks like” in the best working practice, and able to influence colleagues to strive towards this
- Stay current by immersing yourself in the relevant culture playing games, watching movies, TV shows, reading magazines, website and going to racing events.
What Do We Offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly yoga class
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily, as well as free lunch on Fridays
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour every Friday
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.