Creative Director – Star Wars
Game Design (Austin-TX, Brighton-UK, London-UK)
We are BossAlien, part of the NaturalMotion family. Our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep compelling gameplay to mobile platforms. For the past four years NaturalMotion Studios have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
Hiring Update: The safety of our candidates and team members is our top priority. During the COVID-19 pandemic, our workforce transitioned to working from home, with all interviewing and onboarding being conducted virtually until further notice.
We are looking for Creative Director to join us at BossAlien, a division of NaturalMotion, in creating Star Wars™: Hunters, a competitive arena combat game for the Nintendo Switch system and mobile devices. Star Wars: Hunters will bring players together to engage in thrilling, team-based, multiplayer battles featuring a diverse array of distinctive new Star Wars characters.
As the Creative Director on Star Wars: Hunters, you will be the vision holder for Zynga’s premier new game and establish it as a forever franchise. You have a deep experience, love and intuitive feel for games and a passion for leading creative teams.
You are the creative ambassador to other stakeholders, both on the team and above it. You will ensure understanding of the design vision across disciplines, and ensure design coherence and a fun player experience in the finished product.
You believe strongly in the cross-platform future of AAA game experiences on mobile, console and PC, and recognize the revolutionary and exciting prospects of bringing extremely high-quality and feature-rich games to the unprecedented global audience that cross-platform affords.
You are a proponent for designing through constant playtest and iteration, and are an evangelist for the process not only on the design team, but to all disciplines within the studio. Finally, you have a love and admiration for the Star Wars universe, and embrace the opportunity to make your mark and tell your story within one of the most beloved and storied franchises of all time.
This is a studio leadership role that will report directly to our General Manager / Studio Head.
This role can be based out of our UK studios (London or Brighton) or Austin, Texas.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Creative and Product Vision
- Define, maintain, and communicate the creative vision for the project to ensure a best-in-class player experience
- Develop strong relationships with Art, Engineering, Sound, Product, and other departments to make that vision a reality
- Partner with Production, Product Management, Marketing, and Consumer Insights to ensure proper creative positioning of the product, understand and build with our audience in mind, and inform the vision based on analytics and data
- Provide ongoing creative support for the project at all stages of the product lifecycle
- Define and drive playtest and iteration culture both on your design team and for the team at large
- Communicate and evangelize the direction and vision for the game upwards to executive stakeholders, outwards to external partners and inwards to the team
- Guide development of features and systems
- Ensure design cohesion and best practices across the team, and communicate them via documentation, presentations, and mentoring
- Review and provide feedback on systems, feature, and content designs and provide guidance to other leaders and designers
- Stay abreast of the latest trends in gaming and ensure the team are developing a pioneering game that matches evolving player expectations and innovations
- Inspire, lead, and motivate a team of designers from diverse backgrounds
- Mentor and guide the design team on their respective career trajectories
- Impart your experience and methods to the team, and leverage their own strengths and backgrounds to build a versatile team capable of tackling any challenge
Required Skills & Experience
- An experienced Design Director or Creative Director with shipped third-person action/combat titles under your belt
- Experience of games-as-a-service design methodologies and building a living game for a large community of players
- Deeply familiar with what it takes to develop and ship a AAA quality title on time and at quality
- A master of design systems, workflows, and processes
- An effortless communicator, visually and verbally
- A believer in the power, reach, and potential of the next generation of cross-platform gaming, even if you’ve never built one before
- Experience working with IP holders as partners
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme, Zynga stock allocation and Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care, dental and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance, critical illness insurance and income protection
- 6 months fully paid maternity leave or 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly (virtual) fitness classes
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Summer and Christmas parties
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse and talented workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds to join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities in order to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at accommodationRequest@zynga.com to request an accommodation associated with your application for an open position.